Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Homemade Flour Torillas Recipe

 I love tacos and fajitas, but I don't love the smell when you open a package of tortilla shells. A few months ago I found a recipe and decided to try my own.
The first batch was decidedly misshapen, some ovals, some moon shaped, a few of them were folded.
Tortilla making was not my skill. The Mexican blood in me was definitely not translating to my food.
Some parts of me are Dutch though and Dutch people are stubborn so I persevered.
*coff* Ok, I admit it. I'm all Dutch. That would explain why the Mexican ancestry didn't help me out.
 Have you made homemade tortillas before?
 And has anyone else noticed the funny smell when you open a package of them?
 If you do make them. Do you have any tips for me, or ideas for yummy additives to make them more exciting?





Homemade Flour Tortillas  

  • 4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 tablespoons lard
  • 1 1/2 cups hot water

Directions

  1. Whisk the flour, salt, and baking powder together in a mixing bowl. Mix in the lard with your fingers until the flour resembles cornmeal. Add the water and mix until the dough comes together; place on a lightly floured surface and knead a few minutes until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 24 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. 
As you can see mine aren't perfectly round.
  
2. Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Use a well-floured rolling pin to roll a dough ball into a thin, round tortilla. 


Place into the hot skillet, and cook until bubbly and golden; flip and continue cooking until golden on the other side.

 Continue rolling and cooking the remaining dough. 
  
  •  These freeze really well.
  •  You can add Basil or Sundried Tomatoes for a different finish.

 

6 comments:

  1. is that the recipe that you use for the one you made at Christmas???? Those were really good!

    Yes for the acidy weird smell!!! Kinda of a turn off when opening a package! Almost a bleach smell yuck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are the same ones. They're super easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum girl! Come link these up in my Recipe Tab on my blog! I'm your newest GFC follower. Thanks for stopping in and entering my Homemade giveaway and following me! G'luck! susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made them. Surprisingly easy, and pretty tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking these up in my recipe tab! One of these days I'm going to make them. Have you ever made refried beans/pinto beans in a crock pot? I heard they are awesome.

    Have a great week! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never ever thought of making my own flour tortillas! What a great idea. I will have to try these for sure. ROFL about your mexican ancestry.. or NOT. LOL Thanks for linking up for Tasty Tuesday this week!

    Mother of Pearl It Is

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for taking the time. Cheers!