Saturday, February 4, 2012

My very first DIY success!

  I received a very encouraging page of a magazine in the mail last week. One side was of a very well organized closet and the other was a picture of a redone old cabinet filled with fabulous shoes.
With the magazine came one of those inspirational moments. "I WILL be that fabulous, and make something that cool!" You know, the kind of inspiration that lasts all day. You're going to start just as soon as the dishes are done, laundry's in the machine, lunch made, babies settled for their nap, internet surfed for some good ideas.
 I looked through my house for something to redo. Immediately Jeremy's tool shelf came to mind. It's one of those white melamine constructions with cupboard doors on the bottom and shelves on the top. And it definitely was ugly. It could use some beautifying. There were a few small issues with it though. I could never fit it up my stairs, and Jeremy's tool's were all on it. Small details, small details. I started planning it out in my head. Then my brain kicked in. I would never finish such a huge project. I should choose something smaller.
I checked my wardrobe doors to see if I could make cool belt hangers on the insides. But it was pretty cramped in there already.  Then I saw it; an old mirror of Jeremy's that had been sitting in the corner of our room for at least 6 months. I would make a pretty frame for it.
I cleared the kitchen table and started out.
This is what it looked like before I started it.

As the frame wasn't wide enough to cover I was going to have to make a larger frame overtop of it.
I cut long strips of cardboard and glued them together.

I chose 3 colours for my ribbon weave pattern.

Ready to start the lattice work on the sides.

At about 80% into it and 2 hours of work into it I hit a small snag. All the short ribbons were cut and threaded onto it, but it was proving harder to glue than I expected.
I was a bit discouraged, but I had put so much effort into it already. I had to keep going.
So...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
...
TaaaDah!
The finished project.




Bet you didn't expect that.