Thursday, January 10, 2013

Fortune Cookies

 My in-laws invited us over for a American/Chinese meal a few weeks ago.
I didn't have to bring anything which was a good thing because the only Chinese food I know how to prepare is to dump Soya Sauce on rice. 
But I couldn't show up empty handed, especially for Christmas Dinner.
So I thought about it for a while and decided cookies. I can do cookies. I found a recipe in my new favourite cookbook. Cookies by Martha Stewart

Here is her recipe:

Fortune Cookies

Ingredients

  • 4 large egg whites
  • 1 cup superfine sugar
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
  • Pinch of salt
  • 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream
  • Scant teaspoon almond extract

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a nonstick baking mat; set aside.
  2. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites and sugar on medium speed for 30 seconds. Add flour and salt and beat until combined. Add butter, heavy cream, and almond extract and beat until combined, about 30 seconds.
  3. Place a 5-inch round plastic template on prepared baking sheet; spread batter to fill. Repeat process once (two cookies per baking sheet). Transfer to oven and bake until edges turn golden brown, 6 to 7 minutes.
  4. Transfer baking sheet to a heat-resistant surface. Working as quickly as possible, slide an offset spatula under one of the cookies. Lift it up, and, using your fingers, fold the cookie in half, pinching the top together to form a loose semicircle (if you are placing a message in the cookie, you should fold it in at this point). Hold the cookie with your index fingers inserted at each open end and slide your thumbs together along the bottom line. Press into the center while bending the two open ends together and down to form the shape of a fortune cookie. This whole process should take about 10 seconds. Once the cookie hardens, which begins to happen almost immediately, you cannot fold it into the shape. Transfer fortune cookies to the cups of a large muffin tin to cool. Repeat process with remaining batter. To avoid wasting batter, try the shaping process with a circle of paper first.

    They worked surprisingly well. The only drawback was that I used regular paper to print the fortunes on and it stuck to some of  the warm cookies.
    I found the "fortunes" online and printed them out. These are some of my favourites. What was the best fortune you ever found in a cookie?

    Good fortune falls. Don't go outside today.
    You will have a good week. Enjoy. It will not last.
    A long and happy life is yours. Do not stay in one place too long.
    Rain will fall and you need new umbrella.
    A tall and dark stranger will come into your life soon. Ignore them.
    When winds of misfortune blow, go inside.



28 comments:

  1. What?! Ignore my tall and dark when he comes into my life? :)
    So creative, Nicoline. They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it will be muskrat ... better left ignored.
      Thanks, they were fun.

      Delete
  2. Nicoline, you are totally awesome!
    How was the meal? What did you have? I love trying international foods. I have a great, authentic Chinese stir-fry recipe to put in our cookbook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, *pats self on back*
      It was nice, not terribly authentic, but still good tasting. We had pineapple and pork, rice stir fry and chicken balls.

      I would love a good stir-fry recipe. I have a few more to send in to the book too.

      Delete
  3. Oh my gosh, how cool is this! This would be so fun for a party!!!! So glad to find this post and thanks for linking up to the Canucks Rock: All Canadian Link Up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, they were really neat, and you could personalize them if you wanted to.

      Delete
  4. Found you through the Canucks Rock linkup. Love these!Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. We always make chinese food for New Year's Eve and I searched the stores high and low for fortune cookies, with no success. Next year I can make them. I've pinned it, thanks Nicol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Monica That's great. If you make them be sure to tell me how they turn out.
      Ps. Use wax paper, or laminate the fortunes so they don't stick. I learned that the hard way.

      Delete
  6. I found your blog on the Canucks Rock Link Up. I'm definitely going to have to try to make these. I've pinned them for future reference and I am also now following your blog on GFC and twitter.

    www.monstersgonewild.ca

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was a kid we used to make sugar cookies folded with fortunes in the centre, and it was a blast. How much cooler to make them properly! Thanks for the recipe, which I'm bookmarking. And thanks for linking up with Canucks Rock weekend linky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be fun too! I hadn't thought of letting my DD try these, but maybe with a sugar cookie dough she could.

      Delete
  8. Hi, I am sure you'll be loved by many on world's 1st eyewear styling community —— plus.firmoo.com, could we have the honor to see you there?

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look great! I love fortune cookies but it would have never occurred to me, to try and make them myself. I just might give it a go now! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks +Sarah Louise.
      Tell me how it goes if you do. :)

      Delete
  10. What a great idea - I've never even thought of making my own fortune cookies! So much fun just imagining all the little sayings I could put inside, thanks for the idea:)

    Raj
    Pink Chai Style

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could make them really fun for a birthday or something.

      Delete
  11. How cool to make your own fortune cookies!



    http://style-chameleon.blogspot.com/

    €100 NELLY GIVEAWAY ON MY BLOG!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so going to try making these! My kids would love them. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are awesome. For some reason, I would never even think to make these. I think it would be cute to make these maybe for a wedding and make your own cute sayings about the couple or something .. :)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier ... i posted up a follow up comment, if you ever do make Valentines Day cards based on my DIY, let me know and I'd love to share the photos!

    ~Emily
    adayindurham.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I wouldn't think to make these either. Have to blame it on Martha Stewart.
      We ended up making some with googly eyes, my daughter loves the eyes.

      Delete

I love comments. Thanks for taking the time. Cheers!