Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Pretzel Cinnamon Buns

I came across this Cinnamon Bun recipe on Pinterest from the Cinnamon and Thyme Blog. It looked like just my sort of thing. So of course I made some.
This is quite possibly my new favourite cinnamon roll/danish/knot/breakfast bread recipe.
This is their recipe with a few small adaptations.
Please go to the Cinnamon and Thyme website for original recipe and directions.



Pretzel Cinnamon Buns
500 ml milk
130 g of butter
12 g instant dry yeast
100 g of sugar
pinch of salt (I used a scant 1 tsp.)
Karadamoma * 1 teaspoon (I used a mixture of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger)
850 g all purpose flour 

Filling:
150 g blanched almonds (Used a bit less. I was tired of Shelling Almonds.)
130 g brown sugar
80 g softened butter
4 teaspoon cinnamon (you can use more or less)
5 tablespoons water

For the coating:
1 egg (beaten)
pearl or coarse white sugar (skipped)

Heat the milk just a little bit (so that it's warm), add butter and stir until melted.

Place the flour, sugar, salt yeast and spices in a mixing bowl; mix well.
Add the milk mixture.Knead the dough until it's smooth and elastic about 8 minutes. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 40 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the filling: In a food processor, dice almonds into medium fine crumbs.
Mix almonds with butter, cinnamon, sugar and water. Stir until it's a paste-like mixture. If the filling is too thick, add a tablespoon or two of water.

Divide dough into 3 parts.  Roll the dough into a 18 by 12 rectangle about 1 cm thick. Cover two thirds of the dough with filling. Fold the top third over, and fold the bottom third over that like a letter.Cut (horizontally) into strips, about 3 inches wide and twist each strip into a "nest" shape.
Put them on a baking tray with silicone paper, brush with beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar and let stand another 20 minutes. Bake at 200 ° C, about 15-20 minutes. Enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. Is the spice supposed to be Cardamom? They look really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think it is. She says Ginger in the translated version though.

      Delete
  2. These look delicious! Emily and I made brioche chocolate pretzels on the weekend, and I thought of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so yummy. Now I'm going to crave chocolate pretzels. :)

      Delete
  3. Now this makes me want to try to make some too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tell me if you do. I'd love to hear about it.

      Delete
  4. I love cinnamon so much. These look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ilan
      They were really lovely, very different from a traditional cinnamon bun.

      Delete
  5. Je viens d'imprimer ta recette et j'essaie cela cette fin de semaine.
    c'est une excellente idée, ça a l'air très bon et j'adore boulanger :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Thanks for taking the time. Cheers!